New Freeware Version NextGen 3.3.1 ready for download

#1 von Steam_john4 , 20.12.2022 20:39

A new version, 3.3.1 of NextGen can be downloaded.

• Solved some very small bugs
  • Improved the code again
  • Added a Drive Hold Function
  • Made the brake sound of Amarican locos/sound files working

The application can be downloaded from the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cgu41lev7ubbm...V3.3.1.zip?dl=0

Below also some demo videos of NextGen version 3.3.1 to give a better impression of it's functionality.

Happy sounding und frohe weihnachten.

The BR80

The ALCO-6-251B with drive hold

The V200 with drive hold

josessers, vagari und rmayergfx haben sich bedankt!
Steam_john4  
Steam_john4
Regionalbahn (RB)

RE: New Freeware Version NextGen 3.3.1 ready for download

#2 von Alex_mont , 28.12.2022 14:13

Hi dear John,

First of all, I’d like to thanks you and your fantastic NextGen project. You help people to explore real life of trains. I’m very happy to test it. I have some things which could be improved. They are disposed according importance. NextGen V3.3.1. Z21 black + WLANmouse. Roco Aa 6/6 with standard non sound Zimo decoder and Maxon Re-max coreless motor.

1-Many trains don’t change sound of motor during different speed. Aa 6/6 as well (you can check kollektormotoren)

2-The sound of motor too late, model start and after that it sound. The same delay after stop.

3- "sync. Speed" work falls, speed often just stuck and you cannot control it, loco run until you switch it off. Z21 black hang out with symbols of both two directions signs blinking on WLANmouse.

4-Sometimes brake noise begin to loop when you start ride of the locomotive and do not stop until you close prog or load new sound package. Actually, brake sound works very rarely, almost all time it didn't work even with enable brake box

5-Some sound project after activating F1 begin to loop on idle some noise, for example:
93457-LSV5.0M4-Elok-Bemo-RhB-Ge4-4-II-V4-R3
S0376-LS5H0M4-ELok-SJ-Da-V2-R2

6-when F button are enabling some sounds are repeating even when switch off (F4) (maybe it is the same problem as previous)

7-when train lost power on tracks, sound works

Also, some explanation needs for Share register. For which purpose and how work.

Alex_mont  
Alex_mont

zuletzt bearbeitet 28.12.2022 | Top

#3 von Steam_john4 , 01.01.2023 16:17

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the compliment and your feedback on NextGen, I will have a look at the points you mentioned.
Of course NextGen is not a real sound decoder and exact syncrhonizing with a decoder is always difficult.

But for now you can try the following to get the sound better syncrhonized with the decoder/loco:

Adjust the values in the ACC and DEC updownbox. Default they are 16 for ACC and 12 for DEC.
Personly I find a ACC value of 64 and DEC value of 64 working nicely.
If you adjust these values the brake sound works also better.
Whit the on and off updownbox to the left of enable brake sound you can adjust the threshold for the brake sound.
Note that you must have Sync. speed checked.

About hanging of the application, what system/CPU are you running NextGen on?

I noticed that on older systems with for example a Celeron CPU this can happen.
NextGen uses the ESU DLL's and there statemachine is CPU expensive.
In lokprogrogrammer only 1 statemachine runs at a time, in NextGen there are running at least 8 to 10 of them at the same time.

Now for Share registers, if this is checked the SHARE register values will be shared between the sound slots.
This makes it possible to share values between sound slots like the real decoder in order to let the sound react on those values.

Slot triggering makes it possible to start/trigger a other sound slot from within a sound slot.

Turning on the show slot/register data will show this information in the right text window.

Reagrds, John.

Steam_john4  
Steam_john4
Regionalbahn (RB)

#4 von Alex_mont , 24.01.2023 02:41

Hello John, sorry for late answer, I done some tests and found… Some good thing and some which can be improved. Good is that I understand how to keep brake sound.

1 - Brake sound work only with Sync Speed enabled. Other things with it happens if I change settings. For example, disable-enable Sync Speed, changing ACC-DEC, brake speeds. Usually that leads to work brake sound with acceleration. If I change few times direction of ride it became ok.

2 - With Sync Speed hard to control train. The Nextgen speed selector throttle jumps while try to manipulate it. All the time you have to press PC key to stop. Or turn and turn Wlanmouse. Otherwise, it is unable to stop train.
I guess it is better to separate Speedometer and Throttle in that case. Throttle should be independent with priority.

3 - One more thing If you use Wlanmouse or Z21 Lococontroller of Z21 Maintenance tool with Sync Speed enable.
Z21 became to hang while locomotive continue to run. Wlanmouse as well. That is happens when often changing control throttle between Nextgen, Wlanmouse and Z21 Lococontroller.
Need only to put out power to restart it.

Be nice if it is possible...

- to add settings for time tune of sound. Sometimes about second of delay, train start while sound only begin to work
- possibility to save project
- support Zimo sound project.

Some ESU sound project still work incorrect (loop some sounds), for example those which I mentioned.

I have Intel 9900k, 32 gb, win 10 64, rtx 2060.

Yours, Alex

Steam_john4 hat sich bedankt!
Alex_mont  
Alex_mont

zuletzt bearbeitet 24.01.2023 | Top

#5 von Steam_john4 , 25.01.2023 20:35

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your response and no problem that it's delayed, It's hobby and not bounded to time
First of all your system specs are perfect so no problem there.

I am working on version 4.0.0 at the moment and some of your nice to have wishes are implemented in the version.
Some new features,

• Adjustable steam chuff timing
  • All settings made can be saved now and are related to the lok address
  • Quick load button to directly load a saved file according to the selected address
  • Shift functions are working now

Zimo sound project files are not possible, NextGen uses the ESU sound engine and this is not compatible with Zimo.
Altough you can design very nice soundfiles with the ESU LokProgrammer because there sound logic is very nicely designed.
I have to admit that standard ESU sound files are not so well designed besides the fact that there sound logic is.

If I understand it correctly your are using other controllers on the same lok address as NextGen, now this gives conflicts.

The reason for this is that NextGen send the commands based on the settings you make in for example the Acc and Dec.
The speed information send by NextGen is based on these and the individule steps are send one by one according to the timing.
Now the controller on the same address sends also speed information to the Control Center and therefore will send this strait away to the lok. This makes the lok running out of sync with NextGen.

To overcome this you can set NextGen into Decoder Mode, checkbox at the bottom right.
How to use this mode,
  • Check the Decoder Mode before you connect to the Control Center.
  • Select a lok address at the right of the checkbox, this address should be of a non existing lok on the tracks.
  • Connect to the Control Center.
  • Select the address from step 2 on the multimouse or wlanmouse or z21 app.
  • Now you can controll NextGen from these controllers and sound and speed will stay in sync.

The working is very simple, all commands comming in from the controller are rerouted to the lok addres selected within the gauge pane.
This overcomes the speed or function conflicts and sync speed, Acc and Dec should work oke now.

I also had a look at the sound files you mentioned.

The problem there is in both cases the compressor sound slot.
This slot is not controlled by the function register so once started it keeps looping.
You can easely correct this in LokProgrammer.
Random sound slot can also gives problems.

Again thanks for your feedback and we keep in touch,
Regards John.

Steam_john4  
Steam_john4
Regionalbahn (RB)

zuletzt bearbeitet 25.01.2023 | Top

TAMS LD-W-42
Blöcke funktionieren im Rocrail nicht